Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Even Critics Have a Hard Time Liking Artists They're Supposed to Like

Listen at your own (not my) risk.
Last week I read an article in New York magazine by its classical music critic, Justin Davidson, who attempted to "overcome years of distaste" for the music of Philip Glass.

This might be the only time I've ever sympathized with a critic of classical music, and not because of anything related to Philip Glass. I've often found myself trying to like things that I think I'm supposed to like. I enjoy reading criticism, but sometimes I let the critic get in the way of my own critical opinion.

On the other hand, there are some critics whose work I like (even if I disagree with their opinions) because they go against the grain of critical consensus. Armond White, whose movie reviews in the New York Press rile film fans in the way Christgau's reviews infuriate music lovers, has been accused of working the cranky-contrarian angle, even by Roger Ebert:
It is baffling to me that a critic could praise "Transformers 2" but not "Synecdoche, NY." Or "Death Race" but not "There Will be Blood." I am forced to conclude that White is, as charged, a troll.
To be fair, White was probably the only critic over the age of 11 who enjoyed Adam Sandler's Jack and Jill.

SPEAKING OF CHRISTGAU...
Oh yes, what does Christgau think of Philip Glass? Two A-'s, a B+, and a C+. But he didn't like Glass' score for The Hours. I didn't see that movie or listen to the score, but I have a feeling I'd hate both, no matter what the critics told me.

No comments:

Post a Comment