Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A+ Albums I Owned Before Christgau Suggested I Own Them

As I've said before and will say again, I have (almost) no musical taste. I know what I like and will sometimes even defend what I like, but I don't possess encyclopedic knowledge about most music. When I was in high school and even college, I couldn't tell the difference between a song by The Cult and a song by The Cure and probably even a song by The Clash and yes maybe even Blue Oyster Cult.

That being blogged, I can (sort of) boast that I owned a few of Christgau's A+ albums before I'd ever heard of Robert Christgau.

And I mean "a few" literally. Of the 114 albums, I own[ed] three:


Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back. Bought this in 1989 while visiting my brother at college, shortly before attending the Public Enemy concert on campus.

James Brown, Star Time. Got this boxed set during my boxed-set binging when I was in the Columbia (or was it BMG) CD club in the mid-1990s.

Magnetic Fields, 69 Love Songs. Bought this wonderful collection off eBay maybe in 2001.

Honorable mentions include Licensed to Ill and Born in the USA, both of which were owned by my brother, so it was as if I owned them too, even though they weren't mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment